Friday, April 4, 2008

Tibet Night

The 'My Tibet' show ended a few hours ago. More people came than last time. They were an inspiring audience. I did not know most of those who came, which is good, I guess. Yet I must think my marketing strategies over: I have sent out about 800 invites by e-mail, yet no more than 4-5 people came as a result of that. Most of the audience came because they have heard the interviews I gave previously to Hungarian Public Radio and Club Radio. It would be a great help to get tv interviews or announcements, but they (and the mainstream printed media) are interested in me usually only when some of my contemporaries dies and they need an eulogy. Several of those who asked me to set aside free tickets for them did not show up. I must revise my free ticket policies also. ............ After presenting my new 'Free Tibet' video I talked for about 90 minutes. I outlined my over half a century long fascination with Tibet. I talked about her history, religions and culture. As footnotes to the main theme I also talked about the writers Ervin Baktay (the author of several Tibet related books) and Béla Hamvas, who introduced the Eastern cultures, religions, philosophies and histories, and as a direct result of his great educational work he was banned in Hungary during the bolshevik dictatorship. Their books introduced the great spiritual schools of the East to me. Briefly I also talked about the American civil rights movements in the 1960-70s, and about Thoreau's concept of civil disobedience. When I finished my part I turned to the audience for questions and comments. They were sitting in the dark, I couldn't see the faces. One gentleman lectured me on historical dates and other matters, in a rather humorless, dry, military manner. "Buddhism does not originate from Buddha", he thundered facelessly, from behind the dark rows of people. He sounded like someone straight out of a military academy. I asked for his name, but he wouldn't give it out. Another gentleman spoke on such a low volume that I hardly could hear what he has said. Whenever I did manage to gasp the meaning of his whispered words and tried to answer his questions, the humorless soldier interrupted me and answered them himself with stereotypes. .......... After the end of the show the people left. I packed up my gear and went home. It would have been great to unwind a bit, in the company of friends after the the show, like we did in the past, but these are different times. The art of conversation is long gone globally. People do not enjoy each other's company anymore. Instead of exchanging information and ideas they deliver monologues, if they talk at all. I must keep on changing with the times too, should give up my remaining pathetic yearnings for soul mates. ............ I was hoping that Mr. Zsolt Prieger would attend the show, just as he has promised me just a few days ago, so we could discuss the fate of the 'Karl-Heinz Koala' audio book, which is floating in the air for over 6 months now. Mr. Prieger did not come. I have learned from someone who knows him that he is in Roumania right now, playing a gig in the city of Marosvásárhely. Surely he knew at the time of our last communication that he will not be in town last night. I do not have any idea why he needs to act so deceivingly. From the second hand news I am getting about him it appears that he is in another self destructive period of his life. Does he have any self-respect left?. ............. "Forward with Jah Orthodox". I must complete my essays on soul,- funk- and punk music, for Mr. Géczi's book by the weeked. I have already did some research on the first two themes. Tomorrow I will start to collect data on punk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were in Kolozsvar: see here: http://usualvisual.egologo.transindex.ro/?p=356

Najmányi László said...

Thanks for the info, z. Because I could not see Mr. Prieger since last October, even though we had several joint projects in the making (see http://wordcitizen108.blogspot.com/2008/01/zsolt-prieger-leaves-yippie-book.html), and the 'Karl-Heinz Koala' audio book is important for me, I will redo the recording with other musicians, so I could regain the rights and finaly publish the stuff myself. I am very bored of the "rubber time" way of life, which is a deadly disease, so typical of Hungarian artists, just as it is in Third World countries. This 'Koala' business has been dragging on for a year now.